The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology at the University of Michigan seeks a full-time Conservator to support the Museum’s varied conservation & preservation activities. The Kelsey Museum is located on the central campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and houses a collection of more than 100,000 ancient and medieval objects from the civilizations of the Mediterranean and the Near East.
In addition to holding a variety of changing exhibitions, the Museum sponsors research, archaeological fieldwork, and a wide range of visitor programs. It serves as the home for a graduate program, the Interdepartmental Program in Classics and Classical Archaeology, and is closely affiliated with the University’s Museum Studies Program. The University of Michigan is a dynamic research and teaching institution and offers an excellent benefits package.
The primary duties of the Conservator include:
- Performing condition assessment, documentation, and treatment of artifacts for use in exhibitions, teaching, and loans
- Providing conservation and site preservation for Kelsey Museum excavations in a variety of locations including the Middle East
- Undertaking research related to Kelsey Museum collections and fieldwork
- Facilitating teaching with Kelsey Museum collections
- Supervising and mentoring student interns and fellows
- Advising students, faculty, and research scholars on conservation-related questions
- Participating in grant-writing, development, and public education activities
The Conservator reports to the Museum’s Associate Curator and Head of Conservation and works closely with other Museum staff including faculty curators, collections managers, museum educators, exhibition preparators, and administrators.
The target salary range for this position is $40,000-$50,000. The actual salary offered may be higher based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Requirements: A Master’s degree in Conservation from a recognized graduate program requiring at least 2 years of study, 3 years of experience providing conservation for archaeological artifacts and materials, experience providing conservation for active archaeological excavations, and experience with preventive conservation.
To apply: Send a statement of interest, a current c.v., and contact information for 3 professional references to Carl Abrego, Administrative Specialist for the Kelsey Museum, who will distribute all application materials to the hiring committee. Applications may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology, 434 South State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109. All application materials must be received by November 30, 2013.
The University of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.