The Midwest Archives Conference will hold its 2019 Annual Meeting April 3-6, 2019 at the Marriott Renaissance Center in Detroit, Michigan. Long known as a city of innovative industry and activism, today Detroit is referred to as “America’s Comeback City” as a result of its imaginative revitalization of architecture and green spaces, community-building initiatives, and a reinvigorated sense of place. The Program Committee invites session proposals touching on the 2019 theme “Innovation, Transformation, Resurgence” from all areas of archival practice and research and from allied fields.
Possibilities include but are not limited to:
· outreach initiatives designed to reach and/or document underserved populations such as immigrants, refugees, and minorities
· “non-traditional” archives which are filling gaps in documentation and services
· innovative collaboration with allied professions such as records managers, museum curators, artists, educators, social justice advocates, community organizers, librarians, etc.
· programming and outreach initiatives that seek to create and foster a sense of community
· the acquisition/accession of new collections which represent a group(s) story that is missing from the archival record
· innovative methods to restore/maintain collections on a budget
· new modes of outreach to attract potential donors and users of an archive
· bringing an archive out of a disaster (big or small) and making a community aware of an archive’s resurgence and availability
· creative use of space for collection storage, public services, and programming
For further information about possible session types, proposal evaluation, and submission visit the MAC 2019 Call for Session Proposals website.